Who We Are
You Belong Here
At St. Peter United we are building a faith community that allows everyone to feel safe, welcomed, and appreciated. We are proud to create a safe-space that encourages the exploration of God’s love. We encourage our members to find what speaks to their hearts and soul to build their faith. We are a diverse and inclusive, faith community established in 1848 located in Houston, Texas. Through our virtual community, we welcome people from all over the world to join our church family.
What We Believe
St. Peter United exists to love God with all our heart, mind, soul, and strength and to love our neighbor as ourselves.
United in Spirit and inspired by God's grace, we welcome all, love all, and seek justice for all.
United in Christ's love, a just world for all.
St. Peter United is an "Open and Affirming" congregation welcoming all people, without regard to sexual orientation and gender identity. We are proud to be a safe space for an open and honest conversation about human sexuality and gender identity. We encourage LGBTQ members to serve in lay and ordained leadership.
At St. Peter United we celebrate same-sex weddings, anniversaries of LGBTQ married and partnered couples, and offer rites to honor gender transitions. We are advocates for LGBTQ civil rights, we are willing to host meetings of support groups like PFLAG (Parents and Friends of Lesbians and Gays). We offer a safe space for LGBTQ and questioning youth. As a congregation, St. Peter United participates as a group in the local LGBTQ Pride Parade once a year.
We Are Family St. Peter United is a proud member of the United Church of Christ (UCC). We practice radical hospitality and are committed to creating an inclusive and empowering church home. We are an “Open and Affirming” community for LGBTQ+ persons. Everyone belongs at St. Peter United, including people who consider themselves spiritual but not religious. We believe that building a diverse community is an integral part of growing our faith.
- We believe in the triune God.
- We believe that each person is unique and valuable.
- We believe that each person is on a spiritual journey.
- We believe that the persistent search for God produces an authentic relationship with God.
- We believe that all of the baptized 'belong body and soul to our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ.'
- We believe that all people of faith are invited to join Christ at Christ's table for the sacrament of Communion.
- We believe the UCC is called to be a united and uniting church.
- We believe that God calls us to be servants in the service of others.
- We believe that the UCC is called to be a prophetic church.
- We believe in the power of peace.
- We are a people of possibility.